FC5 - anyone got kernel sources working?

B Wooster bwooster47 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 13:33:37 UTC 2006

I've been unable to get at least one program (vmware-tools) to build
correctly on my VMWare box - unable to build "vmhgs" module, and it
complains :

"The kernel defined by this directory of header files does not match
the address space of the running kernel."

uname -r  -->   2.6.15-1.2054_FC5

In /usr/src/ linux is a symbolic link to:     kernels/2.6.15-1.2054_FC5-i686

The FC5 release notes mention how to install kernel sources, many of
the steps in that document do not work (or no such file or directory
exists - for example - there is nothing called ....src.rpm in the DVD,
yumdownloader fails when I give it --source kernel, etc), so I
followed the gist of the instructions only:

I have the DVD .iso image, and in it I found:
Fedora/RPMS/kernel-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.i686.rpm

That is what I installed, since it matched my "uname -r".
But looks like that is not right, or that the "vmware-tools" package
is wrong in the way it tries to compile its "vmhgs" module.
Anyone got the kernel sources working in FC5, or if anyone can say if
the -devel- package I used above is fine, and best of all - if you
have vmhgs module compiled on your FC5 platform, how did you do it???