Cups printer config.

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Apr 15 13:34:27 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 14:06 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 14 April 2006 04:32, david walcroft wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > Unless things have changed very recently, it doesn't.  It does look as
> > > though you can do things, but nothing works.  I agree with you - root
> > > login is necessary for any admin work.
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Anne when you use the web page for config work it automatically requires
> > you to log in as root.
> >
> Exactly - it requires you to, but it doesn't tell you that.  Even if you get
> to the log-in page it doesn't say specifically that you should be root - and
> IMO it should.  A new user gets awfully frustrated by the fact that it
> appears to let the user do things, but doesn't save them, so nothing ever
> happens.  I would say this is a design fault in the gui.
>
> If you follow the links through the Software tab to the FAQ, though, it does
> specifically say that you must be root to do any admin work.
----
I'm trying to figure out which daemons on any of my systems allow me to
configure them if I am not root and I can't think of any.

The cups configuration system uses http and not the 'userhelper' that
the gui 'system-config-*' stuff would use, which would insist on you
providing root password before proceeding. This behavior is typical of
swat and other upstream package supplied http config tools.

Craig