Are netdev kernels compatible with livna nvidia

Kenny Gow kgfedora at swbell.net
Sat Apr 15 15:39:29 UTC 2006

J. K. Cliburn wrote:
> On 4/14/06, Jonathan Berry <berryja at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4/14/06, J. K. Cliburn <jcliburn at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If I install John Linville's netdev kernel, will I still be able to
>>> use the nvidia rpm(s) provided by Livna?  In FC4 I used the Nvidia
>>> binary directly from Nvidia and built the driver myself with each new
>>> kernel, including the netdev kernels, but in keeping with developer
>>> guidance, with FC5 I'm using the Livna Nvidia driver package.  Any
>>> compatibility issues with the Livna Nvidia driver rpm and the netdev
>>> kernels?
>> If a binary package is not available, then you can always recompile
>> the SRPM.  As far as compatability, I suspect that if it would work
>> with the binary installer from nVidia, then it would work with the
>> Livna RPM.  No harm in trying it out ;).
>
> I'm just wondering how strictly the Livna nvidia rpm wants to match
> "uname -r", if at all.  I think the netdev kernels contain the
> substring "netdev" in uname -r output.

The Livna nvidia rpm wants to match "uname -r" exactly. I just
finished building a custom FC5 kernel rpm from the src rpm and
had to build a custom nvidia-kmod package to get the nvidia
drivers working for the custom kernel.

I had to edit the nvidia-kmod.spec file to make it work. I had
to change the kernel version to my custom kernel version and
I had to undefine building the smp and kdump versions since I don't
use those.

--Kenny