Will you recommend fedora to a newcomer?

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 16:17:03 UTC 2006

On 4/15/06, Leon <sdl.web at gmail.com> wrote:
> Zubin Bharucha <z.bharucha at iu-bremen.de> writes:
>
> > Leon wrote:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> Lately, I have been bringing my laptop to work in my office in a
> >> Univ. My colleagues are amazed how pretty the os is (I use the default
> >> theme). I have shown them some of the greatest features of linux like
> >> the security issue and the vast of free software that do a better job
> >> than its windows counterpart.
> >>
> >> They are interested and want me to help them install linux to their
> >> laptop too. From my experience with FC5 since test1, I am not very
> >> confident. FC5 is great for experienced people who can fix some minor
> >> bugs but it doesn't seems to be a distribution to new users. I would
> >> now recommend them to use SuSE linux but would be good to hear your
> >> opinions.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>

> > FC5 is awesome. What better way to learn to use Linux than fixing a
> > few bugs every now and then? :D
> > -Zubin
>
> True. That's the very reason I like linux. However most of the users
> just want things to work out of box.
>
> --
> Leon
>
> --

What will they be using it for?  That can impact which distro will
provide the smoothest transition.  Surfing the web?  E-mail?  Office
Suite? burning CDs & playing MP3s? accessing NTFS volume?  Video
editing? Programming? etc.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to recommend
the best solution.  But even those who are will be able to provide the
best advice if they know what the end user needs out of a distro, and
what is not important to them.  Some distros provide better tools out
of the box so to speak for specific applications than others.

Jacques B.