Will you recommend fedora to a newcomer?

Jacques B. jjrboucher at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 18:19:05 UTC 2006

> Daily tasks: email, word processing, web surfing etc.
> Entertainment: iTunes, video, mp3 etc.
>
> However all of these tasks can easily done using any modern linux
> distribution.
Unless it's changed, FC does not provide mp3 support out of the box,
nor does it provide NTFS read support out of the box.  And installing
browser plugins isn't quite as easy as Windows in all cases (some yes,
some no - but I don't believe that part is unique to FC, but rather
applies to all Linux distros).  As for iTunes, you can run it on MAC
or Windows, but not Linux (don't know if the MAC version would be
hackable to run on Linux, but not something you'd want your newbie to
have to deal with certainly).

Trying to play your favorite mp3s or surf a web site needing plugins
that require manual install can kill the enthousiasm pretty quickly
for a non-technical newbie.

So if the distro does not provide support for a required feature,
unless it can be easily installed I would look at a different distro.
In other words if FC still does not support mp3s and that is important
to your friends, I'd be inclined to look to another distro unless you
know of an easy way to install mp3 support.

Jacques B.