fc4 -> fc5 : now no grub and kernel panic

sean seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 18:43:34 UTC 2006

I had fc4 i386, which I upgrade to fc5 ,x86_64. Intel 64emt, ht,sata drive.

The upgrade went fine, no errors.

Now when I boot I get the grub > prompt. It doesn't go the the grub
menu. BUT, configfile /grub/grub.conf does work and brings up the grub menu.

But then, the kernel boots and goes into a kernel panic.

Creating root device
Mounting root file system
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
Setting up root fs
setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory
no fstab.sys, mounting internal defaults
setuproot: error mounting /proc: no such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: no such file or directory
Switching to new root and running init
Unmounting old /dev
Unmounting old /proc
Unmounting old /sys
switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory
Kernel panic

grub.conf has root=LABEL=/. I also tried root=/dev/sda5.

Why's it looking for /dev/root?

Any help appreciated.

sean