Help! newbie question

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Apr 16 12:57:38 UTC 2006

On Sunday 16 April 2006 13:39, JC wrote:
> Hi, I have just installed Fedora 5. I find myself struggling with it. I
> have some basic questions and hope somebody could give some hints. 1. where
> can I find what kernel version that is installed?
> 2. how do I find out if video4linux is installed?
> 3. how to install video4linux?
> 4. I want to use a USB camera that is supposed in video4linux2. How do I
> install its driver?
>
> Sorry for these stupid questions. If you have some links that could help me
> to start, it would very much apprecited. Thanks a lot! JC

Hi, JC.  I'm not using FC5 yet, but here are some links that may help:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/
http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_5_installation_notes.html
http://fedorasolved.com/
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CommunityWebsites

To find which kernel version you have, open a terminal (aka console) and type
uname -a

If you haven't already done so, you need to do an update, as there are very
many updates already released, some of them very important.  To do that, you
need a root terminal, so in the same terminal type

su -
and give the root password.  Then type

yum update

and let it do its stuff.  Be warned, though, this first one will be a very big
download.

To install new packages you use

yum install packagename

Remove with 'yum remove packagename'.

To see what's available try

yum search term

- which doesn't have to be a packagename.  Search for 'video' and it will give
you a list of everything it knows about concerning video.

If you want to use formats like mp3, realplayer's formats, encrypted video,
etc., you will need additional repositories, as the distro can't legally
provide the necessary packages.  They are all available, though, so ask again
when you are ready.

Hope that helps

Anne