New thread, broadcom 802-11 related

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Sun Apr 16 23:20:23 UTC 2006

On Sun April 16 2006 5:30 pm, Gene Heskett wrote:
> According to lspci, this box has a Broadcom BCM4318 802-11g radio in it.

I can't help you very specifically, but, I do have an HP Pavillion, a ZX5000;
lspci says I have the Broadcom 4306;
running PCLINUXOS, I have the wireless working perfectly with NDISwrapper;
a month or so back, I installed MEPIS on that machine, and it booted up with
the wireless just working - on investigation, I discovered that it had found
the Broadcom, installed NDISwrapper, and the Windows driver, all on its own!

I would suggest looking at NDISwrapper - you might just get your Broadcom
going with that - by the way, after much experimentation in PCLINUXOS, I
concluded that the various drivers available on the net were inferior to the
ones that were installed in my Windows partition - if you read around, you'll
see warnings that the installed Windows drivers are not always the most
desirable, but in my case they were. Sorry I can't give you specific info re:
NDISwrapper and FC5, but maybe this will help...
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA