[OT] But important to me. Appropiate Mailing Lists ??

Rickey Moore wayward4now at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 16 23:39:56 UTC 2006

jdow <jdow at earthlink.net> wrote: (The venerable
old 68000 CPU might help understand the answers to the second batch. It's
command set was very "regular". It's manuals were relatively easy to
understand, as well.) And interpreters simply add an execution step and
remove the linkage step.

(Life was easier for bootstrapping yourself in the days of the old Z-80
or 6502. The Amiga, even, was approachable without much base knowledge.
Reading some old texts about these machines in depth might help to give
you a grasp on what is going on inside in some detail.)

{^_^}

I purchased a Unisys 5000-90 with 4 68020's on two boards from Government surplus. 3 huge cabinets. With those processors and an unheard of megabyte of ram, running it's curses menu system, it was at least as fast as what I have now.  It's O/S was slim, lean and mean... no doubt about it.  I also had a collection of z-80 based CP/M  machines, including Altos, Osborne,  Imsai (3 of them!) and a complete collection of Televideo. All ran pretty quick (in text mode)
and did their jobs. I even had some MP/M running 16 bit machines. Now, I can't find my butt with both hands with all of these bells and whistles. Don't get me wrong, I like 'em too... but as was mentioned in a previous post about Linux for a newbie, Java (and it's ilk)  is making me crazy...  I would really like for a java rpm to install itself, add it's classpath and merely work, right out the gate. I just tried to compile from a tarball, the quetoo package which is a quake game opensourced and looked REALLY COOL! (that's 56 year old speak) but it refuses to compile correctly as it does compile without error, but make install puts stuff into the /usr/local/ scheme of things and the binary attempts to run and fails. Missing permission although it was compiled as root:root... go figure??

So Mister Newbie, check out my Linux User Number, it's pretty low, right? All these years and I'm being thrown many curves still. Guess what? It's part of the learning curve! <g> Has been, pretty much always will be, even with Winders there is a learning curve. And, since humans make mistakes 15% of the time statistically, and have human failings, opinions, perspectives, emotions as well as intelligence, a mailing list will be of all of those points. As Buckarro Banzai said, as he crossed the 8th Dimension, "No matter where you are, there you're at."

I wouldn't expect for humans, in a mailing list, to patiently sit idle, awaiting your requests for tutoring, at your pace... computers do that, patiently. We ain't got much, as evinced by the heated debates that flare up from time to time. So, if you're new to all of this, Welcome! Post questions, maybe it will interest someone enough to answer. Sometimes, maybe not, especially if the answer is readily found. Google is your friend, as is Bugzilla, FreshMeat and all the rest.  My machine still won't go past Go correctly as Udev got clobbered during the Upgrade From the Net  experience.  I'm learning.  I'd rather be running Free Quake and blowing the Hell outa something for an hour or so, but that isn't happening today. Might not happen as soon as I'd like, but I'm sure someone else will want to blow something up too, and have the knowledge to fix it and post it for me to acquire. God knows, with Linux you need patience! Yet, all will be revealed in it's own good time. If I
 can help ya, just yell. Ric

   ...the Sin of Ignorance, and
   ...the Sin of Stupidity.

Linux user# 44256