partition management in linux - lvm

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 17 01:07:53 UTC 2006

oleksandr korneta wrote:
> The goal is to delete the fat32 partition and extend the ext3 partition
> to the whole drive without losing the data. There is no way for me to
> backup this data - it is 200Gb drive. Neither gparted nor qtparted
> cannot handle this task (I assume these are based on the same lib).
> Presumably, parted will fail as well.
>
> Is there any tool for linux (preferably opensource) that is capable of
> accomplishing of this task?
Logical volume management (LVM) is designed to help in just this sort of
task.
At partitioning you create a partition/s of type LVM (iirc) (the
physical volumes - or space to use). Then you create logical volumes
within the lvm physical volumes. The Logical Volumes can then span
multiple partitions, and other physical disks.

There is a gui tool to view this:System|Administration|Logical Volume
Management.

By default, FC5 seems to choose to make LVM partitions, which would make
it fairly easy. I don't know about converting existing partition/data
into LVM though ?

DaveT.