Samba nmbd messages in log (SOLVED)

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Apr 17 06:09:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 22:31 -0600, David G. Miller wrote:
> I don't know why a Windoze network might need wins support.  Knowing
> Microsoft products, its probably some legacy support option that
> typically doesn't matter for relatively current products.

 From what I've read, WINS is *needed* for resolving machine names
across different subnets (that's SMB machine name business, not
resolving machine names for any other purpose), without having to do
broadcasts (asking everyone if they're machine X, and hoping machine X
hears and responds).  It's to do with being able to locate the browse
master, so you can contact the right browse master for the answer.

On the other hand, if you're using DNS to find the IP for machines, it
shouldn't be necessary.

NB:  Machine name being the single host nane without any dots.  Like
having fred.localdomain with "fred" being the name.

I read messages from the public lists.