partition management in linux

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 17 11:53:48 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 19:52 -0400, oleksandr korneta wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I got an additional harddrive installed in my machine.
>
> The drive is split into two partitions.
>
> hdb5 fat32 empty
> hdb6 ext3 ~80% full
>
> both are created inside the extended partition so they are secondary
> partitions.
> The goal is to delete the fat32 partition and extend the ext3 partition
> to the whole drive without losing the data. There is no way for me to
> backup this data - it is 200Gb drive. Neither gparted nor qtparted
> cannot handle this task (I assume these are based on the same lib).
> Presumably, parted will fail as well.
>
> Is there any tool for linux (preferably opensource) that is capable of
> accomplishing of this task?
>
> thank you in advance
>
> --
Well this seems like a job for a backup system. Yoi don't say what the
sizes of the partitions are nor whether emply menas of size reated thasn
zero but without contents.

Anyway the obvious thing to do if your drive is of manageble size ( 1
terabyte for example) is to backup the data in the ext3 partition ,
repartition and bring the data back. But that ios so obvious I assume
your ext3 partiton is humongous. Is that true?

  Another option is to reformat the fat32 partition to be ext3 and then
parted might work,

Out of curiosity how did you get a disk with only extended partitions?

--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>