kernel module placement Q:

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Mon Apr 17 11:50:45 UTC 2006

On Mon April 17 2006 12:49 am, Gene Heskett wrote:
> specifically, I've downloaded the
>
> kernel-module-ntfs-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5-2.1.26-0.rr.10.5.i686.ko
>
> So that I might be able to mount the ntfs XP partition and find the
> driver this Broadcom BCM4318 radio uses and drag it over for linux to
> use.
>
> So 3 questions.
> 1. That seems like an awfully long name for what should be ntfs.ko
> So what do I name it?
>
> 2. The FC5 /lib/modules/version/kernel tree has lots more places to hide
> things so I haven't the foggiest what I should name it, or where I
> should but it.  And I assume I should do a depmod -a version when I do
> move it in.
> So where do I put it?

Maybe you're over-complicating matters:
yum install kernel-module-ntfs-$(uname -r)
Make sure you have the Livna repo configured and enabled before you run that
command. This should download the ntfs driver and kernel module appropriate
to your system and install everything. It should also configure it to be
loaded automatically when you boot... Usually, this just works. The livna
page http://rpm.livna.org/kernel-modules.html has more help for other
situations.
Can't speak to your question about whether the Windows driver on your machine
is 64 bit, and if so, whether it will work - maybe you'll just have to try
it, or maybe someone else already has and will chime in.
--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA