Samba nmbd messages in log (SOLVED)

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Apr 17 14:15:21 UTC 2006

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 22:31 -0600, David G. Miller wrote:

>>> I don't know why a Windoze network might need wins support.  Knowing
>>> Microsoft products, its probably some legacy support option that
>>> typically doesn't matter for relatively current products.
>>

> From what I've read, WINS is *needed* for resolving machine names
>across different subnets (that's SMB machine name business, not
>resolving machine names for any other purpose), without having to do
>broadcasts (asking everyone if they're machine X, and hoping machine X
>hears and responds).  It's to do with being able to locate the browse
>master, so you can contact the right browse master for the answer.
>
>On the other hand, if you're using DNS to find the IP for machines, it
>shouldn't be necessary.
>
>NB:  Machine name being the single host nane without any dots.  Like
>having fred.localdomain with "fred" being the name.

I wonder if this is a bug in nmbd or its just nmbd doing *exactly* the
same thing Windoze does.  It seems to come up when there is another
subnet that appears to be accessible.  I saw it on my rig because my
Samba box is also my gateway and nmbd complained that it couldn't find a
PDC on my external subnet.  This is with Samba configured to only "talk
to" the internal network.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce