Grub booting from CD

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 17 14:17:10 UTC 2006

Niklaus wrote:
> Hi,
>  I have a bootable CD and normal ISO9660 data CD , both has linux on it.
>  I don't have the BIOS password and hence cannot change the bios
> startup options.
>
> 1) Is there any way to boot the CD from grub command line ?
>
> 2) Can i access the data in ISO9660 from grub command line ?
>
> I can boot a floppy like root(fd0)
> chainloader +1
> boot
>
> simlarly windows partition like root(hd0,2)
> chainloader +1
> boot
>
> Is there anything for bootable CD .
1. I think I did it in the past by building a bootable dos floppy image
that loads a cd driver, and then calls loadlin with the right parameters.

2. But if you can get you into a windows partition, maybe try the
dosutils folder from an older FCore, from memory you can configure to
boot the CD  (oh, but I think it might need to be a fat - not ntfs - drive).

3. grub option: (but you need to make the memdisk (14k) and img (1.4)
accessible somehow?)

title bootable_cd_loader.1.50z [ok]
   kernel /memdisk/memdisk
   initrd /memdisk/bootable_cd_loader.1.50z.img

DaveT.