Wish AGP were a kernel module; blocks use of Nvidia NvAGP support

Anthony Joseph Messina amessina at messinet.com
Mon Apr 17 14:49:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 09:04 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude D800 laptop with an Nvidia GO5200FX card.  It
> did work to suspend to memory in Fedora Core 3, but ever since the FC4
> and 5 were released, the video does not wake up after a suspend.
> (black screen, but I can log in and re-start the computer).
>
> One of the pieces of advice from the NVidia people is to remove the
> kernel AGP and use the NVidia AGP instead.  The xorg.conf option is
>
>  Option "NvAGP" "1"
>
> That used to work.
>
> Now it fails, the dmesg error says:
>

> Apr 10 13:21:42 pols113 kernel: NVRM: not using NVAGP, an AGPGART
> backend is loaded!
>
> After chasing my tail around, I found out this happens because the
> Kernel has AGP support compiled with "y"  rather than "m" and there is
> nothing the X server can do to make it stop.
>
> I was re-building kernels a lot back in 1998 and 1999, but i'm too old
> for that and don't want to unless i really have to.  So, what to do?
>
> --
> Paul E. Johnson
> Professor, Political Science
> 1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
> University of Kansas

you can add "agp=off" to your grub boot line to disable kernel agp.

--
Anthony

Website: http://messinet.com
Gallery: http://gallery.messinet.com/main.php?g2_itemId=34

GnuPG Key / Fingerprint:
0xB0014A4E / 8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E

Registered Linux User #389089 - Get counted!: http://counter.li.org