fc4 crashes on heavy overload

alan alan at clueserver.org
Mon Apr 17 16:06:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Vaishak Belle wrote:

> Hello all,
> I seem to have a little problem with my fc4 for sometime now.  The system
> runs good for sometime but when under heavy load ( couple of browser windows
> in one desktop, xmms in another etc.), it crashes. Mouse stops responding,
> wireless fails and refuses to reactivate etc. Its renderred completely
> useless! I initially presumsed it was the Gnome crashing but i have been
> using kde for sometime and the problem persists.
> Any ideas ?

Run memtest86 (www.memtest86.com) and see if your memory is failing.  It
could be high enough up that it takes a few programs getting loaded for
you to hit that point.

I think there is also a package to add it to the boot menu.  I have not
tried that though.

Memetest86 will require a reboot, but since you are crashing anyways...

--
"Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis