avahi

Levin Fritz levinfritz at mediales.net
Mon Apr 17 18:28:24 UTC 2006

Hi Eric,
I played with avahi a bit today and kind of made it work. Maybe I can
help you get started.

Make sure the packages avahi and avahi-tools are installed and
avahi-daemon is turned on. Now, for each service that you want to
publish, you'll need to add a .service file in /etc/avahi/services/.
This blog entry describes how to do that for a web page:
http://www.burtonini.com/blog/2006/Feb/11 . After you change any
entries, you have to do a
  service avahi-daemon restart
(on the server). To see if it worked, run
  avahi-browse -a
on any machine on your network. There should be a line like this one:
+ eth0 IPv4 Levin's web page                 Web Site          local
There's also a simple gui, avahi-discover.

The avahi.service man page
(http://avahi.org/download/avahi.service.5.xml) describes the .service
file format in a little more detail. Also, here's another post by the
same guy with a .service file for sftp:
http://www.burtonini.com/blog/2006/02/13/ (if you have sshd running, it
probably provides an sftp-service, too).

Does this help? If not, please give us some more detail on what you're
trying to do with avahi.