Recording sound in FC5 - similar problem

David Timms dtimms at bigpond.net.au
Mon Apr 17 22:07:47 UTC 2006

Pasha R wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Few days ago I installed Fedora Core 5 and I'm having trouble to make
> sound recording applications - audacity and skype - to work. Since
> these applications use OSS, I also tried to use arecord to record
> sound, but got the same result - nothing is recorded. In FC4 I had no
> problem with these applications after I unmuted my microphone, but in
> FC5 it doesn't help. I have Creative Live 5.1 soundcard (emu10k1), it
> was recognized by setup and playback works fine. What am I missing?
I have an onboard nvidia nforce2 chipset. On the weekend I found and
installed k2guitune (guitar tuning app). I fired it up, unmuted the
mic-in in the Volume Control app (capture), adjusted the level, and was
then able to tune my guitar. I repeated after a half hour to see how far
out the tuning had gone, and it was fine.

Yesterday I ran k3guitune again. NoGo. The app starts, but I can't get
any audio into it. If I send the mic through to the speakers, I hear the
mic input OK.

The only thing I can think that might have caused it to go pear shaped
is that I was also trying audacity. In fact I started audacity while
k3guitune was still open; audacity warned that it would not be able to
record. I closed it and k3guitune, and restarted audacity. I didn't test
it's record capability. I then realized it couldn't play mp3 files, so I
closed it, and yum installed the one from livna. I ran this one: mp3
playback was no problem. Later I tried k3guitune and it no longer works.
Note: I ended up with the extras audacity and the livna one both
installed, both same versions.

Restarting X nor rebooting have allowed the audio in side to work. My
next bet is to remove livna audacity.

DaveT.