partition management in linux - lvm

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Apr 17 22:40:07 UTC 2006

On Mon, Apr 17, 2006 at 08:07:13AM -0400, oleksandr korneta wrote:

> on 04/17/2006 07:58 AM Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>
> >What are the sizes of the two partitions in question?  If the data in
> >the ext3 partition will fit in the vfat partition, you could do the
> >following:
>
> nope, it will not fit there.
> vfat -32GB
> ext3 -the rest of 200GB drive, and it is ~80% full
>
> thanks for nice instructions, I might think about lvm next time
> installing linux

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but...
hard drives are getting really inexpensive. I've seen 200-250 gig
drives advertised for US$100 or less. Buy one of those babies and
use it as a nightly backup. Or partition it with LVM the way you want
and use it, then either retire the existing one to the "spares"
category, or use IT as a nightly backup device.