New thread, broadcom 802-11 related

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Apr 18 02:22:53 UTC 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 21:02, Neil Cherry wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> I don't know why it doesn't work, what is the command you are
>>> typing in?
>>
>> ndiswrapper -i bcmw15.inf
>
>I think the file name is wrong.
>
>>> Are you in the directory what the files are?
>>
>> Yes.
>
>Good, that is important. It won't write anything to that directory
>instead it puts everything in /etc/ndiswrapper.
>
>>> I think you want the other inf file bcmwl5a.inf or somthing like
>>> that. You can do a file * in that directory and it should be the
>>> ASCII file not that data one.
>>
>> AFAICS there is only one .inf file there, and its a BIG binary.
>> I'd moved 3 files altogether, and a file * shows this:
>>
>> [root at diablo firmware]# file *
>
>.../firmware/? weird mine is under ~/.wine/drive_c/SWSetup/SP30290A

Thats where I moved the drivers XP is using to.  The other drivers are
in almost the above path, its /.wine/drive_c/SWSetup/SP30676A.
The file names in that dir are similar to identical, and ndiswrapper
can't copy that version of bcmw15.inf either:

[root at diablo SP30676A]# ndiswrapper -e bcmw15
[root at diablo SP30676A]# ndiswrapper -i bcmw15.inf
Installing bcmw15
couldn't copy bcmw15.inf at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper line 139.

And I just found about a 45k bcmw15a.inf file in this latter SP30676A
dir, but ndiswrapper is just as unhappy with that as it is with the
other.

There was a setup.exe, and a 'wine setup.exe' started to go thru the
motions but soon blew up without doing anything that I know of.

Grrrrrr...

>> bcmwl5.inf:
>> bcmwl5.PNF: PDP-11 UNIX/RT ldp
>> bcmwl5.sys: MS-DOS executable PE  for MS Windows (native) Intel
>> 80386 32-bit
>> [root at diablo firmware]#
>>
>> Basicly nothing for the .inf.  And ls -la:
>> -r--------  1 root root 658896 Nov 28 04:35 bcmwl5.inf
>> -r--------  1 root root 379840 Feb 14 22:34 bcmwl5.PNF
>> -r--------  1 root root 424320 Nov 28 04:35 bcmwl5.sys
>>
>> Do I need to get more than the .inf file from the ntfs partition?
>
>I don't know, the one file (bcmwl5.inf) is a binary file
>and I have no clue as what it is. The other inf file (bcmwl5a.inf)

There is no bcmw15a.inf file anyplace in the winXP install.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: