New thread, broadcom 802-11 related

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Tue Apr 18 12:02:27 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> [...]
>>> The file names in that dir are similar to identical, and ndiswrapper
>>> can't copy that version of bcmw15.inf either:
>>>
>>> [root at diablo SP30676A]# ndiswrapper -e bcmw15
>>> [root at diablo SP30676A]# ndiswrapper -i bcmw15.inf
>>> Installing bcmw15
>>> couldn't copy bcmw15.inf at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper line 139.
>>>
>>> And I just found about a 45k bcmw15a.inf file in this latter
>>> SP30676A dir, but ndiswrapper is just as unhappy with that as it is
>>> with the other.
>> Do an ls -l on the files in that directory. Do you have SELinux turned
>> on? What are the permissions of the /etc/ndiswrapper directory. This
>> one is really weird.
>>
> [root at coyote root]# ssh -X diablo
> root at diablo's password:
> Last login: Tue Apr 18 04:54:01 2006
> [root at diablo ~]# ls -lR /etc|grep ndiswrapper
> drwxr-xr-x  3 root root     4096 Apr 18 04:55 ndiswrapper
> /etc/ndiswrapper:
> /etc/ndiswrapper/bcmw15a:
>
> This is after setting SELINUX=disabled in its /etc/selinx/config
> file and rebooting, which made no diff in the result.
>
> From /var/log/dmesg:
> SELinux:  Disabled at runtime.
> SELinux:  Unregistering netfilter hooks
>
> And from messages at the last boot:
>
> Apr 18 04:53:42 diablo kernel: ndiswrapper version 1.13 loaded (preempt=no,smp=no)
> Apr 18 04:53:43 diablo avahi-daemon[1998]: New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
> Apr 18 04:53:43 diablo kernel: ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:132): loadndiswrapper failed (1792); check system log for
> messages from 'loadndisdriver'
> Apr 18 04:53:43 diablo avahi-daemon[1998]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 192.168
> .71.5.
> Apr 18 04:53:43 diablo kernel: ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:139): ndiswrapper: initialization failed
> Apr 18 04:53:43 diablo avahi-daemon[1998]: Network interface enumeration completed.
> Apr 18 04:53:43 diablo kernel: ndiswrapper version 1.13 loaded (preempt=no,smp=no)
> Apr 18 04:53:43 diablo avahi-daemon[1998]: Registering new address record for 192.168.71.5 on eth0.
> Apr 18 04:53:43 diablo kernel: ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:132): loadndiswrapper failed (1792); check system log for
> messages from 'loadndisdriver'
> Apr 18 04:53:43 diablo avahi-daemon[1998]: Registering HINFO record with values 'I686'/'LINUX'.
> Apr 18 04:53:43 diablo kernel: ndiswrapper (wrapper_init:139): ndiswrapper: initialization failed
>
> Which, considering the 'ndiswrapper -i bcmw15a.inf' failed, looks normal to me.
>
> This SD30676A drivers bcmw15a.inf, is quite new, the build date is feb 2005,
> but doesn't mention XP, just w95 and ME2K.  It about 46k, and does look
> a bit like a one size fits all.  And contains the usual NDA stuff, proprietary
> Broadcom yadda yadda warnings.
> Now I'm experimenting.
>
> This fails: cp bcmw15a.inf gene
> [root at diablo SP30676A]# cp bcmw15a.inf gene
> cp: cannot stat `bcmw15a.inf': No such file or directory

???, weird, Wait! try this in lowercase BCMWL5A.INF (that's
and "L" not a one.

> But...  if I copy/paste the filename with the mouse as below,
> and I can SEE no difference in the command line so generated,
> and it works!!!!
>
> [root at diablo SP30676A]# cp bcmwl5a.inf gene
> [root at diablo SP30676A]#
>
> Just for the hell of it,
> [root at diablo SP30676A]# ndiswrapper -e bcmw15a
> [root at diablo SP30676A]# ndiswrapper -i gene
> Installing gene
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> Forcing parameter IBSSGMode|0 to IBSSGMode|2
> [root at diablo SP30676A]#
>
> Looks like reboot time to me unless a service network restart might work.
> And this is crazy!:
> [root at diablo SP30676A]# service network restart
> Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
> Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
> Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface eth0:                                [  OK  ]
> Bringing up interface wlan0:                               [  OK  ]
> [root at diablo SP30676A]#

That's the one thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to
get Linux to treat it like any other interface. I cheated and
added a small script to load the module, and run wpa_supplicant.

> And the blue led in the center of the screen hinge that says the
> radio is up just came ON.  Ok, start kwifimanager and it says its out
> of range but showing a green bar to the 54mbs line.  I ask it to
> scan for networks, it finds mine, but fails to connect due to a
> bad WEP key.  I thought I entered that once, but maybe in all the
> screwing around it got fubared.  Where is that located?, in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcgf-wlan0?  Humm, no, just the
> hardware address its supposed to use.

I don't know, I use wpa_supplicant because I needed WPA-PSK.
If it's wpa_supplicant it's under /etc/wpa_supplicant. In the
wpa_supplicant file. It would be something like this:

network={
   ssid="SSID"
   key_mgmt=NONE
   wep_key0="Shared key"
   wep_tx_keyidx=0
   priority=5
}

> Kwifimanager has a configuration editor for entering those keys,
> and I've now redone that from a paper copy I wrote down, but its
> not helping.
>
> But this is progress I think.  Now if I can recall the name of the
> tools I used to generate and apply that key with thats already been
> set into the access gizmo.  Jim led me thru that before, so I'll
> give him a call when its a civilized time of the day.
>
> But now I may be able to manage a weak grin :)

It's progress,

Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry at linuxha.com
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site