fc4 crashes on heavy overload

Dan grinnz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 14:50:14 UTC 2006

alan wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Vaishak Belle wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> I seem to have a little problem with my fc4 for sometime now.  The
>> system runs good for sometime but when under heavy load ( couple of
>> browser windows in one desktop, xmms in another etc.), it crashes.
>> Mouse stops responding, wireless fails and refuses to reactivate etc.
>> Its renderred completely useless! I initially presumsed it was the
>> Gnome crashing but i have been using kde for sometime and the problem
>> persists.
>> Any ideas ?
>
> Run memtest86 (www.memtest86.com) and see if your memory is failing.
> It could be high enough up that it takes a few programs getting loaded
> for you to hit that point.
>
> I think there is also a package to add it to the boot menu.  I have
> not tried that though.
>
> Memetest86 will require a reboot, but since you are crashing anyways...

If you install memtest86+ from core (I think), then run
/usr/sbin/memtest-setup as root, it will add the memtest86+ option to
GRUB. You really should run that for a few hours, just in case. The
other things I'd look at is the heat on each of your components (CPU and
vid card mainly) and reseat the memory.
-Dan