New thread, broadcom 802-11 related

Neil Cherry ncherry at comcast.net
Tue Apr 18 22:53:53 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 08:02, Neil Cherry wrote:
> [huge snippage]
	[ditto]
>>> [root at diablo SP30676A]# cp bcmw15a.inf gene
>>> cp: cannot stat `bcmw15a.inf': No such file or directory

>> ???, weird, Wait! try this in lowercase BCMWL5A.INF (that's
>> and "L" not a one.

> By golly, you are right! I couldn't spot that diff on the lcd screen.
> There are entirely too many fonts extant that use the exact same
> character for both a one and an ell.  I got bit on that the first time
> 15 years ago trying to make a trig library compile from a printout in a
> magazine that had just dropped the src code printout from an old dmp
> printer on the camera glass & made offset plates from it.  Later, I
> carved away a piece of the ell on a daisy wheel for the same reason.

I only noticed it because there were 2 lines with the same words
(1 mine, 1 yours) and I noticed the difference.

> And that script looks like?
Sorry can't tell you ancient Chinese secret (sorry that's from a
commercial from the 1970's can't remember what they were selling :-)

See the script at the end of the message.

>>> And the blue led in the center of the screen hinge that says the
>>> radio is up just came ON.  Ok, start kwifimanager and it says its
>>> out of range but showing a green bar to the 54mbs line.  I ask it to
>>> scan for networks, it finds mine, but fails to connect due to a bad
>>> WEP key.  I thought I entered that once, but maybe in all the
>>> screwing around it got fubared.  Where is that located?, in the
>>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcgf-wlan0?  Humm, no, just the
>>> hardware address its supposed to use.
>> I don't know, I use wpa_supplicant because I needed WPA-PSK.
>> If it's wpa_supplicant it's under /etc/wpa_supplicant. In the
>> wpa_supplicant file. It would be something like this:
>>
>> network={
>>   ssid="SSID"
>>   key_mgmt=NONE
>>   wep_key0="Shared key"
>>   wep_tx_keyidx=0
>>   priority=5
>> }

I think you'll need this for supplicant with WPA-PSK:

network={
   ssid="Third"_SSID
   psk="Third_WPA-PSK"
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   proto=WPA
   priority=5
   bssid=AA:00:04:00:42:B0
}

The MAC address is not a real WAP (at least I don't think they
have a wireless router :-).

> Ok, I'll bite, whats WPA-PSK?

Off to the Wiki I go an voila: WPA-PSK = Wi-Fi Protected Access -
Pre-shared key. It's a little better (security wise) than the
WEP is.

> And that file, /etc/wpa_suplicant/wpa_suplicant.conf, only contains:
> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
> ctrl_interface_group=wheel
>
> network={
>         ssid="any"
>         key_mgmt=NONE
> }

Yipes! Not even WEP. I figure you'll work on that once you've fully
resolved the connectivity issue.

> And I have NDI how this is connected to what I'm doing.

> Is there a better "wifi" manager program for linux that kwifimanager?
> Or has the 128 bit problem alluded to on the wap11 web page 3 years ago
> now been fixed?  I'm having a bit of trouble making sure I point the
> finger at the right bit of code here.

I don't know, I've never used kwifimanager.

Here's the script I install it in the /etc/init.d/network script just
before the end of the start (before the ;; for start).

# ====================================================================
# Load the ndiswrapper module and start the wpa_spplicant daemon
# ====================================================================

WLAN='wlan0'
ADDRESS='static'
# The IP address of this machine's wirless interface
IP='192.168.2.17'
# Default Gateway address
GATEWAY='192.168.2.254'

# This must match your WAP
SSID='YOUR_SSID_HERE'

# This must match your WAP
CHANNEL='6'

/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper
if [ $? != 0 ]; then
     echo "Error loading ndiswrapper module"
     exit 1
fi

# SSID goes here
/sbin/iwconfig ${WLAN} essid ${SSID}
# channel number goes here, match your WAP settings
/sbin/iwconfig ${WLAN} channel ${CHANNEL}
/sbin/iwconfig ${WLAN} commit

# This is taken care of in the wpa_supplicant
# iwconfig ${WLAN} key s:key_goes_here
/sbin/ifconfig ${WLAN} up

if [ "${ADDRESS}" == "static" ]; then
   # Static IP address
   /sbin/ifconfig ${WLAN} ${IP}
   sleep 1
   /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant -dd -Dndiswrapper \
     -i${WLAN} -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
   sleep 2
   /sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} ${WLAN}
else
   # Dynamic IP address, only use one of the other
   # untested!
   #dhclient ${WLAN}
   #pump -i ${WLAN}
fi