Any way to get a USB-Serial adapter to work at boot time for console redirection?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Apr 19 02:44:14 UTC 2006

Thomas Cameron wrote:
> All -
>
> I have a USB to serial adapter that works great as /dev/ttyUSB0 after my
> FC5 system is up and running.  I need it to work at boot time via
> grub.conf.  I tried adding console=ttyUSB0,9600 to the kernel line of
> grub.conf but it does not work.
>
> Anyone know how to get this device to work at boot time?
>
> Thanks!

I don't think Grub has USB support built in. Unless your BIOS has
support for USB serial ports, the way some do for USB
mice/keyboards, I think you are out of luck. Remember, Grub is
loaded and running before any OS is loaded, so it does not have
much in the line of drivers. It depends on the BIOS for a lot of
its functions.

Mikkel