fedora and firefox + realplayer 10 smil streams @ 99%cpu

Carroll Grigsby cgrigs at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 19 03:30:32 UTC 2006

Skunk Worx wrote:
> David Timms wrote:
>
>> Skunk Worx wrote:
>>
>>> David Timms wrote:
>>> I am seeing this on many sites, many file types. Other stories on NPR
>>> do this as well. Always the situation where I am clicking on
>>> helper-application related content.
>>>
>>> Now that I have RealPlayer 10 installed (and the requisite
>>> libstdc++-33), I notice that the hang occurs when retrieving the SMIL.
>>
>> I do not have any real player installed, so that may be why I don't
>> see what your seeing.
>>
>>> Once the SMIL is in downloads, I can open it every time, instantly.
>>
>> :) is is worth a listen ?
>>

> No not really but I thought it was a decent test case :-) I'm guessing
> it could be my cheapo mobo based video (the "via", unichrome driver).
>
> So far I have :
>
> 1) taken the SMIL file from tmp and pulled it up from localhost. Exact
> same thing happens.
>
> 2) There are two rtsp::// links in the SMIL, the first being an add.
> Remove it. Same thing happens.
>
> 3) Restore add, remove content. Same thing happens. Noticing that the
> first time though, it's maybe 5 seconds, after that every load is 20-30
> seconds of firefox spinning 99% CPU.
>
> 4) put real.npr.org in hosts file and restore content w/o addvert. Same
> problem.
>
> I think I will shove a spare video card in next to see if it's X driver
> related. Tomorrow...
>
> ---
> John

John:
It works for me, perhaps because RealPlayer isn't involved. When I
clicked on the link, Firefox opened and invoked the MPlayer plugin. Got
the short ad for some other NPR program followed by the story. top
didn't show any unusual activity when I checked it.

I remember that a guy on the Mandrake newbie list reported a similar
problem a year or two ago; I don't know that he ever worked it out. I do
recall that I had the same problem, but I was using RealPlayer (8?) at
the time and did not have mplayer installed.

-- cmg