FC5 + new gnome terminal goes to background

yonas abraham yonas at erimp3.com
Wed Apr 19 13:33:33 UTC 2006

Paul Howarth wrote:
> Ingemar Nilsson wrote:
>> Ron Yorston <rmy at tigress.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>> It's not something I'd ever want, but there are people out there who
>>> never want new windows to take focus from the one they're working in.
>>
>> I'd say that applies to "unsolicited" windows, that open even if I
>> did not
>> request them. An example is the Gaim conversation window, which opens
>> when
>> somebody sends you a message. If I'm typing into another window and it
>> steals my focus, I'll be disrupted and irritated. Windows that I
>> request to
>> be opened, e.g. by starting an application or selecting a menu entry
>> (that
>> leads to a dialog box) in an open application, should IMO get the focus.
>>
>> I'm not sure how the window manager can identify these "unsolicited"
>> windows though.
>
> I actually like the new behaviour. When working on a slower machine,
> it can take a long time for windows of a big application to appear. In
> the meantime, I like to get on with other things and I don't like
> having the focus stolen from me when the big app eventually turns up.
>
> Paul.

That is an excellent idea. I like that one when they introduce it in
FC4. But we are talking about If I requested for a new window and I
didn't  do any activity, the new window should be the focus.

But the good thing is that, with my latest update every thing is now
back to the FC4 behavior.

Some one was talking about, it is now possible to configure it which
behavior you want, but I don't know where you can configure it.

--
Yonas Abraham, PhD
Registered Linux user number 407343               http://counter.li.org