Is wireless support any better with FC5?

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Apr 19 14:47:30 UTC 2006

Is wireless support any better with FC5?

I'm on FC4 now and have been using ndiswrapper with a Broadcom card for
some time: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN
Controller (rev 03). Recently my DLink DI-624 router died and I just got
the replacement. Now I can't get FC4 to reconnect. I can scan the
wireless network and see it, but I can't connect to it.

I've also tried two PCMCIA cards, a DLink DWL-G650 with the Atheros
chipset (I've never got this to work) and a CompUSA card with an unknown
chipset (doesn't work either).

I've also never been able to get WEP to work, so I've been stuck using
no encryption and filtering MACs. I would filter MACs anyway, but would
really like to use WEP, even though it's not the greatest security.

All three of these NICs work fine when I boot to Windows XP.

So I'm wondering if FC5 improves anything. I've heard that SUSE is much
better at handling wireless, but I really like Fedora/Redhat.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

James