Can anyone explain the use of init3

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Wed Apr 19 20:57:22 UTC 2006

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:53 PM +0100 Chris Linton-Ford
> <chris.lintonford at firebox.com> wrote:
>
> When your objective is to change the runlevel, you should invoke telinit.
> Future versions of the program may treat invocation as init to do something
> quite different.

So do you know more about this then the man pg?

>From the init man page:

"The init binary checks if it is init or telinit by looking at its process
id; the real init's process id is always 1.  From this it follows that
instead of calling telinit one can also just use init instead as a shortcut."

Notice the part about the shortcut??

I have only been administering *nix systems for a short time (15 years) but
in that time I can tell you I have never typed telinit except in response to
statments like the above.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com