Can anyone explain the use of init3

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 19 21:47:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 18:13 +0200, Ali Helmy wrote:
> A simple question: Why would I want to drop to runlevel 3 in the first
> place? I mean, when I need to run a text-only mode on FC5 [and on FC4
> worked well too] I just press Ctrl+Alt+F[1-6] and I get a text mode...
> I mean, what would
> Ctrl+Alt+F1
> then init 3
>
> Differ from jusy typing
> Ctrl+Alt+F1?

Typing CTRL-Alt-F1 puts you in text mode but in run level 5. X is still
running. If I wanted to change the display it would be worth while toi
change it in init level 3 and then go back to init level 5.

X + gnome for example are rather CPU users. Maybe I want that extra CPU
time. There are many other reasonsd to be in init 3 from time to time.
VMS version 2.0 ==>
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net