Syncing Directories

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Wed Apr 19 21:33:38 UTC 2006

Greetings Peter ,

Peter Gordon wrote:
> [ CC: fedora-list, in case others are having similar troubles.]
>
> Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>
>> > Assume that we have two directories on the very same host .
>> one is
>>  /home/root/sources/ and the other one
>> /mnt/OldDisk/root/sources
>>
>> and we want to sync those two .
>>
>> Are you suggesting that
>>
>> rsync /home/root/sources   localhost:/mnt/OldDisk/root/sources/
>>
>> will do what we want ?
>

> Pretty much. :)

Well i have uncovered that  even the following command will achieve
the desired thing .

rsync /home/root/sources/   /mnt/OldDisk/root/sources/   or if you wish
rsync /path/to/source   /path/to/destination .

It seems that omiting localhost: will have no negative result to the
command .

> I use the following:
> $ rsync --archive --delete --sparse --stats /path/to/source
> /path/to/destination

Thanks pretty much for the example .

> Take a look at the rsync(1) man page for more information about its
> options and parameters:
> $ man 1 rsync

I already have taken a quick look at the man page .

> Hope that helps.

It certainly does . Thanks

Kostas