Last Firefox update 1.5.0.2-1.1.fc5 breaks readahead list

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Apr 20 03:22:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 01:17:01PM +1000, Steffen Kluge wrote:
 > On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 11:09 +0200, Marcus Hartig wrote:
 > > now we have the problem again, that the directory name has changed to:
 > >
 > >     /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.2
 > >
 > > and /ect/readahead.files searches for:
 > >
 > >     /usr/lib/firefox-1.5.0.1
 >
 > Same thing in FC4. Readahead looks in /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.4, which
 > doesn't exist (and hasn't in a while). Since the last update, all we
 > have is /usr/lib/firefox and /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.8.
 >
 > Does the readahead implementation seem broken in that regard?

readahead is a bit dumb.  One possible fix for this ongoing problem
that was proposed involves moving away from a flat text file to
a selection of files in /etc/sysconfig/readahead/ which would be
owned by each application.
Not only would this solve the problem of files changing when they get
updated, but it would also mean we wouldn't bother trying to open
non-existent files when packages aren't installed.
(Though that's a very cheap operation)

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk