CANNOT Get Remote X to Work -- Guru Needed

Joep Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Thu Apr 20 07:12:47 UTC 2006

Rudolf Kastl wrote:

>2006/4/18, Bill Polhemus <bill at polhemus.cc>:
>

>>Most of the how-tos and other such information available on the 'net are
>>old and outdated.
>>
>>I last had this working ca. FC3. I am using the WinAxE X-Window client
>>(http://www.labf.com) on Windows XP, and trying to pull up my FC5 server's
>>desktop from there. I just can't get the connection.
>>
>>I have the client software on the Windows XP box configured as shown on
>>LabF's tutorials page, but when it comes to editing the various (and
>>sundry!) config files on my FC5 server, I'm not sure I have even found
>>them all.
>>
>>Is anyone doing this now? What advice can you give me?
>>
>>Sorry I am not more specific; there are too many parts to this puzzle.
>>I'll answer questions as best I can, however.
>>
>>--
>>

>using cygwin was alot faster when i last tried. i didnt like winaxe really.
>
>regards,
>Rudolf Kastl
>
>p.s. just my personal experience

I second that. I'm running cygwin on an XP-machine and it's really fast.
Due to a mysterious quirk in the FC5 installer, all X-related programmes
are removed from my disk, therefore I cannot work -temporarily I hope -
graphic on that system Well text mode let you do almost everything).
However, cygwin happily shows me most of the graphic programs (e.g. a
weather display using gnu plot).
My 2 cents,
joep