FC4->FC5 upgrade problems

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Apr 20 09:28:12 UTC 2006

mkalenkov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried upgrade my FC4 box to FC5 from DVD, but I got the message

> Error mounting device /mnt/disk1/home as /home: No such file or directory
>
> This most likely means this partition has not been formatted.
>
> Press OK to reboot your system.
>
> The only action at this point is to push the "OK" button for the
> reboot.
>
> My fstab file is following

> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for
> details
> LABEL=/         /          ext3    defaults      1 1
> LABEL=/boot     /boot      ext3    defaults      1 2
> /dev/hda8       /mnt/disk1 ext3    defaults      1 2
> /mnt/disk1/usr  /usr       none    bind          0 0
> /mnt/disk1/home /home      none    bind          0 0
> /mnt/disk1/var  /var       none    bind          0 0
>
> none            /dev/pts   devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none            /dev/shm   tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> none            /proc      proc    defaults        0 0
> none            /sys       sysfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/hdb3       swap       swap    defaults        0 0
>
> I skip several unimportant lines from fstab (mounting CD-ROM,
> DVD, floppy, and win partitions). It is not clear from fstab that
> /dev/hdb2=/
> /dev/hdb1=/boot
> hda1, hda5, hda6, hda7 are win partitions.
>
> This fstab is correct. I found (from ALT-F2 console) that anaconda installer
> mounted / and /boot correctly to /mnt/sysimage, then skiped line
>
> /dev/hda8 /mnt/disk1 ext3 defaults 1 2
>
> (why??), and then failed mount /home.
>
> Is it possibbe to say anaconda installer what partitions should be mounted?
>
> Any ideas how to upgrade such system?

It's at times like this that you wished you'd used LVM instead of having
to shuffle partitions around using bind mounts etc.

I suspect anaconda is failing because when it's running, /mnt/disk1/usr
is actually /mnt/sysimage/mnt/disk1/usr and hence /mnt/disk1/usr etc/
cannot be found.

You might work around this problem by getting rid of the bind mounts and
using (relative) symlinks instead.

Paul.