updatedb woes

William Murray w.j.murray at rl.ac.uk
Thu Apr 20 12:01:27 UTC 2006

 > Following the previous discussion, I too have updatedb trouble in FC5
 > /etc/updatedb.conf has never been touched by me, and is:
 > PRUNEFS = "auto afs iso9660 sfs udf"
 > PRUNEPATHS = "/afs /media /net /sfs /tmp /udev /var/spool/cups
/var/spool/squid /var/tmp"

 > But updatedb takes 90% of my CPU, and runs as:
 > /usr/bin/updatedb -f sysfs rootfs bdev ....... afs
 >
 > The search of afs is fatal....How do I stop this from taking over my
 > machine please?

The "PRUNEPATHS" list are paths that should be pruned out (ignored),
likewise "PRUNEFS" prunes out certain filing systems.  Since you have
afs pruned out, it really shouldn't be causing you a problem.

Do you have anything present at /afs or using afs?
Yes, I should have said, I have the afs system mounted, so access to a
very large number of files. The prunefs does not seem to have been
recognised by whatever launches updatedb...
     Bill