partition management in linux - [solved]

oleksandr korneta mai11ist at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 20 12:00:37 UTC 2006

on 04/16/2006 07:52 PM oleksandr korneta wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I got an additional harddrive installed in my machine.
>
> The drive is split into two partitions.
>
> hdb5 fat32 empty
> hdb6 ext3 ~80% full
>
> both are created inside the extended partition so they are secondary
> partitions.
> The goal is to delete the fat32 partition and extend the ext3 partition
> to the whole drive without losing the data. There is no way for me to
> backup this data - it is 200Gb drive. Neither gparted nor qtparted
> cannot handle this task (I assume these are based on the same lib).
> Presumably, parted will fail as well.
>
> Is there any tool for linux (preferably opensource) that is capable of
> accomplishing of this task?
since apparently no opensource piece of software is capable of
accomplishing this task, I utilized proprietary tool. Acronis Disk
Director from their Rescue CD did a good job. Now I have a single ext3
partition and no data is lost. More than that, after resizing, the new
partition doesn't contain any errors (checked by fsck.ext3) as it
usually happens after using the Powerquest Partition Magic software.

I'm kind of satisfied, but there is the feeling that we are missing
something.

regards,

--
regards,
Oleksandr Korneta

/The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from./