NetworkManager tutorials?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Apr 20 12:44:28 UTC 2006

On Thursday 20 April 2006 03:24, nicola .:kOoLiNuS:. losito wrote:
>Il giorno gio, 20/04/2006 alle 00.42 -0400, Gene Heskett ha scritto:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Subject...Is there such a thing?  I've browsed the limited docs
>> installed on FC5, without finding anything that tells me how to
>> configure it.  All I know is that if I start those 2 daemons, I have
>> to manually restart the network to restore service, and
>> that /etc/NetworkManager is an empty directory.
>
>+1 on this.
>But i fear that NM is still work in progress and i do feel it lacks of
>documentation (as most of the prominent new Mono applications:
> banshee, beagle ..) compared to traditional ones.
>
>At the moment the most clear and insightful article for NM i've found
>are:
>- http://www.ces.clemson.edu/linux/nm.shtml

That site is great, hopefully the fact that its gnome-centric won't
screw me around too bad.  I've gone about 1/4 way down the page
installing and presetting stuff but commented out, and have printed it
out to take with me as a flowchart to get it working at the worksite.

I do have to say that cups and the network required no setup, I just
clicked on firefoxes print link, it opened a requestor showing all the
printers defined on this machine, I selected the full color medium res
profile and its printing just fine.  Beautiful!

I do hope that this project doesn't fall into disrepair from lack of
interest as the premise of its design makes it (apparently) a whole lot
easier to setup than winderz does.  I took the wap11 over to the
neighbors and spent about 20 minutes with XP and with FC5 booted, and
was never able to succesfully transistion from my setup behind a
firewall with all fixed 192.168 addreses, and his setup with the wap11
plugged directly into his dsl modem.

>and

>- http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003jan05/features/networkmanager/
> (yes, more than a year old)

I'll also print this page for later reference.  Thanks for the links,
they look much better than most doc sets.

Humm, based on needing to install networkmanager-gnome, I thought maybe
there was a matching networkmanager-kde so yum is looking for that now.
But no match.  I do see a Network VPN Manager in the menu's now.

Whats the diff between 'yum check-updates' and clicking on the 'package
updater' in the kde menu's that has the yellow puppy dog icon in its
window?

I ask because they apparently use two different databases of whats
installed, and two different src's for the "what has been updated"
listings.  Yum didn't find a new FC5 kernel 2096 20 minutes ago, and
this package updater did.  But this utility didn't know firefox was
just updated a few hours ago, or is this a new respin to fix a release
bug?  Me confused...

Better question yet, am I headed for a disaster by using 2 different
tools?  Both are in the default FC5 install FWIW.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: