Is wireless support any better with FC5?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 21 07:31:01 UTC 2006

> So I'm wondering if FC5 improves anything. I've heard that SUSE is much
> better at handling wireless, but I really like Fedora/Redhat.

I would agree that FC5 is better than FC4, but your experience is probably
very much dependant on your hardware.

I have a Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100, and the ipw2100 driver is now in the
kernel (Later FC4 kernels also have it). It appears rock solid (although the
version in the current FC5 kernel is 1.1.3 and thus does not yet support WPA
I think... WEP should be fine though.)

I also use NetworkManager, which I would also suggest is much more stable in
FC5 than it was in FC4 - With this running things really did "just work" for
me after installing FC5, which was not the case for FC4. I haven't had to do
a single bit of network setup and the wireless connects fine, and plays well
with my ethernet connection "Broadcom 4400 10/100BaseT"

Chris