Is wireless support any better with FC5?

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 21 12:53:27 UTC 2006

> I have Intel(R) PRO/WIreless 2200 and it works pretty fine with ipw2200. The
> only thing I had to do was to update the firmware. I also found out that I
> have some problems on newer kernels (after I do update), but it works pretty
> fine on the kernel supplied on FC5 installation CDs

yes, I also installed the ipw firmware rpm from livna.

>>I also use NetworkManager, which I would also suggest is much more stable
>>in FC5 than it was in FC4 - With this running things really did "just work"
>>for me after installing FC5, which was not the case for FC4. I haven't had
>>to do a single bit of network setup and the wireless connects fine, and
>>plays well with my ethernet connection "Broadcom 4400 10/100BaseT"

> Since I use KDE I use KWifiManager and it works fine.

I also use KDE, and just for the record NetworkManager works fine with
KDE. The previous FC4 NM applet had some icon issues with KDE, but the
latest one with FC5 works perfectly. Personally, I think the gnome
NetworkManager applet is better than anything available at the moment
for KDE (kwifimanager only does wireless no ? Networkmanager does ALL
connections).

I am keeping any eye out for a KDE frontend for NetworkManager, which
gather is in the pipeline...

Chris