[Solved - of sorts] CUPS printing problems

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Apr 21 14:00:29 UTC 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 07:36, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Jeff Vian wrote:
>> In each of the location stanzas of the type above I added another
>> "Allow From x.x.x.x" line with the IP of the remote workstation.
>> Now when I restarted cupsd I can print from the remote workstation.
>>
>> This is at best a work-around and I need to find out why it cannot
>> be configured this way using the cups interface (or file a bug
>> because it cannot).
>
>My conclusion when modifying CUPS some time ago
>was that I could _not_ make all necessary changes
>through the web interface.
>I had to make some modifications "by hand" in /etc/cups/ .
>
>I'd be interested to know if I was correct.

There are changes to be made to /etc/cups/cupsd.conf that you can't do
thru the web page, and they have to do, generally, with permissions for
the various operations.  But as far as setting up a printer, for me,
thats always Just Worked(TM).  And with an epson printer, I use
gutenprint only, and have nuked all traces of foomatic.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: