fc4 install with /usr as read only

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Fri Apr 21 15:03:44 UTC 2006

list user wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Still experimenting with xen and lvm on fc4.
>
> I've created a mount point, /usr, that is read only, thinking more than
> one xen domain could use it.
>
> Even though I've never used it this way, I always (mistakenly?) thought
> that /usr could be read only.  I've been turning off most services one
> by one, and keep making it further, but have yet to successfully boot
> completely.
>
> Rather than a clean install, I created it with lvcreate vg0/usr,
> mkfs.ext3, mount vg0/usr /mnt, cp -a /usr /mnt, then edited fstab to
> create a /usr mount with standard defaults except rw as ro.
>
> I'm not convinced yet that that was the correct way to do this, or
> whether my original assumption that /usr could exist as a "read only"
> directory was correct.

Yes, /usr can be read-only.  That's how my systems normally run.
I do see a problem with your "cp -a /usr /mnt" command.  That's going
to create a directory /mnt/usr, and when you try to mount that
filesystem on /usr your original /usr directory tree will now be in
/usr/usr and that will break just about everything.

Try "cd /usr; cp -a . /mnt" instead.

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.