partition management in linux

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Apr 21 18:38:12 UTC 2006

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> Just a minor correction - 32Gb is an artificial limit that XP has
>> when creating FAT32 partitions. I have used Windows 98 with a 60Gb
>> FAT32 partition with no problems.
>
> Ever tried debugging it with the built-in defragger? *That's* what can't
> cope with more than 32 GB in a partition, and that was why Win 98 had
> the artificial limit.
>
> With XP, I suspect Microsoft just wanted people to have a reason to move
> to NTFS.
>
> James.

Well, I usually use Norton Speeddisk to defragment Windows 98
systems because it does a lot better job then defrag, but I have not
had problems using defrag on 60Gb partitions. But Windows XP may
have problems with partitions that size. I have not used large FAT32
partitions on XP. (Or used XP much at all...)

Mikkel