Broadcom bcm43xx.ko

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Apr 22 01:37:32 UTC 2006

Greetings;

Getting curious (yeah I know, it finally killed that famous cat for the
9th time)  I was wandering around in the lib/modules tree after the
2096 kernel had been installed, and low, and behold even, there sits a
driver module for the bcm43xx broadcom chips.  Its in:

/lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2096_FC5/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bcm43xx.ko

Ok, fireing off the network settings utility in kde, I was going to try
and setup a new network port as eth1, but I find that the only driver
listed with a broadcom name in it is for the 'tigon', whatever that
might be.

Now, I'd like to get rid of the ndiswrapper stuff on general principles,
so where, and how, can I make the above driver available for linux to
use?  What contains the list of drivers thats available for this
utility, and which I might be able to add this driver too?

I might add that I have the system-config-network screen open and
displaying the list of available drivers, but a perusal of the output
of lsof -c system-config-ne isn't showing me any likely candidates.

Thanks for any clues.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: