automount, ldap and gnome?

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Sat Apr 22 03:06:28 UTC 2006

Anthony Messina wrote:
>> AM> i understand the two schema thing and the logging an error for the
>> AM> on it doesn't find, but why is the automounter called when i enter
>> AM> gnome for all these extra things?
>>
>> It's looking for "floppy*" and "cdrom*" under one of your automount
>> points, trying to check all floppies and CD-ROM drives for media
>> insertion.  It will poll them repeatedly.  There's probably a way to
>> turn it off, but I'm a KDE user so I can't really say much about
>> how you would do it.
>>
>>  - J<
>>
> the thing that i can't figure out is that i don't have any of those
> mountpoints configured in automount!  i only have the users' home
> directories and a public share directory.  and all the additional auto.*
> (like auto.misc) are commented out.
>
> thanks for trying to help.

so, under gnome's system > preferences > removable drives and media, if
i uncheck "mount removable drives when hot-plugged", "mount removable
media when inserted" and "browse removable media when inserted" the
problem goes away:  no more over-querying ldap.

--
Anthony

Website: http://messinet.com
Gallery: http://gallery.messinet.com/main.php?g2_itemId=34

GnuPG Key / Fingerprint:
0xB0014A4E / 8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E

Registered Linux User #389089 - Get counted!: http://counter.li.org