"CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0" on Fedora Core 5

Steven P. Ulrick lists-fedora at afolkey2.net
Sat Apr 22 03:46:59 UTC 2006

Hello, Everyone
When attempting to use certain GNOME-based applications, I have the
issues detailed below:

As an example, when I open up same-gnome, I get the
following error:
http://www.afolkey2.net/same-gnome-1.jpg

As you can see, it gives me the following buttons: "OK" and "Details"
But I cannot click on either of those buttons, because the error box is
placed right over the one that appears to actually be active.  Here is
a screenshot of that error message, with the original box moved to the
side:
http://www.afolkey2.net/same-gnome-2.jpg

If I click OK on the dialog that I uncovered, then the game starts:
http://www.afolkey2.net/same-gnome-3.jpg

If I click on the "Details" button on the error dialog that originally
appeared when I started same-gnome (the one that I had to move before I
could actually click on "Details", I get a dialog that looks like this
http://www.afolkey2.net/same-gnome-4.jpg

Here is the entirety of that error:
Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error:IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
(This error is repeated exactly like this about 7-10 times.)

Additonally, everytime I change a setting in same-gnome (again, just
using that as an example) I have to go through the whole hassle of
closing out an error box before I can get back to the game.  Further, I
am forced to keep one error message open while I am playing.  Again,
not a Huge deal, but I suspect that it is not supposed to work this way.

Searching google informs me that a LOT of people have had this problem
(or ones VERY similar) over the years.  The only actual "solution" that
I saw was as follows:

> fix:
>
> killall gconfd-1
>
> explanation:
>
> bleurgh.....

Since Fedora Core 5 is up to gconfd-2, I tried to do as the quotation
above suggests.  Guess what?  The errors referred to above do not occur
anymore.  Also, GnomeSword starts perfectly.  Before I killed gconfd-2,
I could not get GnomeSword to start at all.  In fact, when I attempted
to file a bug report, Bug Buddy (?) kept crashing :(  I have seen this
happen with relative frequency over the years. So, I can get freedom
from application crashes and the above mentioned error messages if I
kill gconfd-2.  But, it appears to me that this should not be
necessary.  Hence, this email.

Again, I am running Fedora Core 5 (Fresh install, not an upgrade.)  All
official updates applied.  Only three gnome packages that ship with FC5
are not installed, but that is because of the pilot-link update issue.

I do not use GNOME.  I am running KDE 3.5.2 (compiled from KDE SVN
Branch 3.5)  Also, I have had to remove the redhat-menus RPM, since it
destroys my K-Menu.  Uninstall it, my menu looks as it should -
reinstall it, it gets mangled.  Oh yeah, I DID NOT compile KDE in
the /usr prefix. Therefore, I did not overwrite the default KDE RPMS.

Well, that's all that I have for now.
Steven P. Ulrick