[Solved - of sorts] CUPS printing problems

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Apr 22 09:21:40 UTC 2006

On Saturday 22 April 2006 03:55, Jeff Vian wrote:

> I can confirm that I was forced to make changes in cupsd.conf by hand to
> allow any thing but the localhost to print to my printers by cups.
> Once I set the browse option to allow the other machines to see the
> printers, and then set the Allow From option to allow the local network
> to connect I am able to print from other machines on my local network.
>
> It seems the cups web interface only is designed to configure local
> printing and has no options to set things to allow anything else on the
> LAN to use the printer.
>
> This is definitely something that needs to be improved to allow new or
> non-technical users to configure printers for network use, not just on
> the localhost.

Intrigued by this thread, since I use networked printing all the time, I tried
to use the cups interface on this box to add another configuration of my
printer.  It appeared to complete, telling me that it had added the printer.
Checking on the server, I found that no new printer had been added there.
Wondering if it had merely set up a local configuration to be piped through,
I decided to try a test print of a photo.  The new printer didn't show up on
the printer list.  Then I tried to print a test page, and got the message
that the target printer doesn't exist.

This is very bad.  It's bad enough that it doesn't seem able to add a remote
printer through the interface.  It's much worse that it is so utterly
misleading, appearing to complete the job.

For me, this was merely an experiment.  I don't need to do it.  I was just
exploring.  For a newbie it could be a showstopper.

Anne