cant determine ip on dhcp, means no network

sagaris no-reply-gw at fcp.homelinux.org
Sat Apr 22 11:06:11 UTC 2006

different results in same setups.
i just reload fc4 to my computer to find what is the problem.
just like the old times fc4 finds the correct driver for the ethernet card (fc5 did the same) and ask me to determine my network during the installation.
there was two options one is
1) automatically obtain ip adress settings with dhcp.
2) manual configuration. (which is manual ip,netmask etc settings)

and i chose the first one. in first boot fc4 try to get the ip adress from dhcp (the screen says so) an its ok. it gets the ip of 10.0.0.8 which is assigned by dhcp server,by my modem. (i know it because i look the dhcp server settings in my modem and it has to be bigger than 10.0.0.2 and smaller than 10.0.0.14 which were factory defaults of my modem.)
it gets the netmask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway 10.0.0.2 by itself without any setups or anything.
fc4 find everything by itself.

the difference in fc5 is it cant get the ip adress and the 255.... and the default gateway etc. from my modem(which is the dhcp server); nor in the boot, neither in the system.

i look the ethernet card options which i think may cause the problem. and it is not because both system see the ethernet card the same and load the same driver.

now i think, the dhcp version or program or whatever it is in fc5 causes the problem.
because everything is same in both systems except one can get what it has to get (fc4 gets the ips from dhcp) one cant.

i saw somewhere in fc5 that "tulip" is the driver for the ethernet. maybe it cause the problem. because i dont see anything like "tulip" in fc4. to be honest i dont know...

final: pppoe doesnt have any mean in my problem because my modem use pppoe to link up to the net and it gives me a lan connection behind its firewall. i mean the modem connects to net by pppoe and i connect to the modem with lan, dhcp or that is all i can understand from the modem setup, from winxp and from my experience...

--
This is an email sent via the webforum on http://fcp.homelinux.org
http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=81379&topic_id=19953&forum=28#forumpost81379