Broadcom bcm43xx.ko

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Sat Apr 22 12:58:23 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Friday 21 April 2006 22:49, David G. Miller wrote:
>> Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>>> Greetings;
>>>
>>> Getting curious (yeah I know, it finally killed that famous cat for
>>> the 9th time)  I was wandering around in the lib/modules tree after
>>> the 2096 kernel had been installed, and low, and behold even, there
>>> sits a driver module for the bcm43xx broadcom chips.  Its in:
>>>
>>> /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2096_FC5/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/bcm43xx/bc
>>> m43xx.ko
>>>
>>> Ok, fireing off the network settings utility in kde, I was going to
>>> try and setup a new network port as eth1, but I find that the only
>>> driver listed with a broadcom name in it is for the 'tigon',
>>> whatever that might be.
>>>
>>> Now, I'd like to get rid of the ndiswrapper stuff on general
>>> principles, so where, and how, can I make the above driver available
>>> for linux to use?  What contains the list of drivers thats available
>>> for this utility, and which I might be able to add this driver too?
>>>
>>> I might add that I have the system-config-network screen open and
>>> displaying the list of available drivers, but a perusal of the output
>>> of lsof -c system-config-ne isn't showing me any likely candidates.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any clues.
>> All I can come up with is a link to the development web site:
>> http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ and lots of posts from people having
>> trouble making it work.  Sounds like the README may have some
>> detailed instructions involving the Windows firmware.  You may need
>> to pull down the source just to get the instructions.
>>
>> Too bad you didn't post a week or do ago.  I'm going to be needing a
>> working laptop for the next several days so I'm a little reluctant to
>> play with this at the moment.  Hopefully will have the laptop (and me)
>> available for experiments in a week or so.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave
>
> Yes, I found that link and bookmarked it on the lappy so when I get
> there, and have time to breath, I may see if I can get lucky.  In the
> meantime I appear to have ndiswrapper working fairly well.  I note the
> real winderz driver is about 2x that ones size, so I'm wondering if its
> all there yet.  OTOH, this does tend to look like a
> system-config-network problem, so I'll keep doing updates on a daily
> basis to see if it gets fixed in the future.

I just got my Broadcom wireless working.  I have a Dell TrueMobile 1180
mini PCI card which uses the Broadcom 4301 chip.

What I needed to do was install bcm43xx-fwcutter from Fedora Extras and
follow the instructions in the README file.  In effect, get my hands on
a Windows driver (I wasn't able to use the one that came with my system,
a Dell Inspiron 8200, but I was able to use one of the Dell ones
mentioned in the README which I extracted using Wine), and point
bcm43xx-fwcutter to it.

--
Sjoerd Mullender