You don't have permission to access /pipermail/ on this server.

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Apr 22 14:21:06 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 01:51 -0800, Noah wrote:
> mailman-2.1.7
> apache 2.2.0
>
> Okay I just upgrade from apache 1.3.x to apache 2.2.0 and arriving at a
> permissions problem when viewing pipermail mailman directories.
>

> --- Browser error message ---
>
> You don't have permission to access /pipermail/list/ on this server.
> Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an
> ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>
> --- snip ---
>
> Here is what apache places in the error_log:
>
> --- snip ---
>
> Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible:
> /usr/home/mailman/archives/public/list, referer:
>
> ---- snip ----
>

> Here is what I've done so far:
>
> ---- apache httpd.conf file ----
>
> in the virtual host stanza
>
>         ScriptAlias /mailman/ /usr/home/mailman/cgi-bin/
>         Alias /pipermail/ /usr/home/mailman/archives/public/
>         Alias /icons/ /usr/home/mailman/icons/
>         <Directory /usr/home/mailman/archives/public/>
>                   Options +FollowSymlinks
>                   Allow from all
>         </Directory>
>
> --- snip ---
>
> then restarted apache.
>
> --- snip ---
>
> looks like the directories have proper permissions:
> typhoon# ls -ld /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
> drwxrws---  103 mailman  mailman  2560 Apr 21 21:49
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/private
> typhoon# ls -ld /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
> drwxrwsr-x  2 mailman  mailman  1536 Apr 21 21:49
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/
> typhoon# ls -ld /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/list
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  mailman  54 Apr 21 19:00
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/public/list ->
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/list
> typhoon# ls -ld /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/list
> drwxrwsr-x  50 www  mailman  4096 Apr 21 18:34
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/list
>
> --- snip ---
>

> what else could be the problem here?

1. Are you running SELinux? If yes, see my response to your previous
posting on this subject.

2. Is the apache user a member of the mailman group? If not, how is the
web server (usually running as user apache, group apache) supposed to
read things under /usr/local/mailman/archives/private, which has no
permissions open for anyone other than user and group apache?

Paul.