named: dumping master file: tmp-xxxxxxx: open: permission denied

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Sat Apr 22 19:27:21 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 22, 2006 12:11 PM
Subject: Re: named: dumping master file: tmp-xxxxxxx: open: permission
denied

> LC:
>>> chown and chgrp named to named
>
>> named is running as user named and  /var/named plus all directories and
>> files inside are owned by named.named
>
> Though you said the temp files were owned by root and mode 700...  Named
> won't be able to work with them.
>
>> This is a box that was recently upgraded from FC3.  Everything appears to
>> be
>> working fine and I'm not seeing any other errors messages.
>
> I might hazard a guess that the other user's sticky bit hasn't been set
> for your /tmp directory.  I've had that happen to me.
>
> e.g. This is how mine is set:
>     ls -dl /tmp
>     drwxrwxrwt  16 root root 4096 Apr 22 15:33 /tmp
>
> See the chmod map page for how to set the sticky bit.
>
> Though, I'd have thought any named temp files would have ended up
> inside:  /var/named/chroot/var/tmp

I got it figured out.  I actually had two problems and I thought both were
named.  The named problem was an ownership/permission problem that I fixed
easily enough.  However, I have a custom script that downloads some virus
dat files from a website that broke (they changed the website around...I
hate when that happens!!!).   It was leaving some garbage behind in /tmp
that looked almost exactly the same as named problem.  The only difference
was a "." in the file name.